Steamed mussels – tasty, nutritious, low in sodium and saturated fat. Mussels provide a good dose of B & C vitamins, amino acids, Omega 3 fatty acids, and vital minerals including iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and zinc. Join Pier 87’s Executive Chef Jason Maw as he shares facts and culinary tips through this insightful mussels demonstration and dinner event. Guests will first enjoy a delicious steamed mussels dish prepared by Jason. The next dish guests will prepare through an interactive lesson and the final dish will be a take-home bag of mussels as homework to hone your new skills and knowledge.
- Lesson by a professional chef;
- Enjoy 2 types of delicious mussel dishes;
- Receive a bag of mussels to take home as homework;
- Complimentary glass of beer or wine.
- Suitable for adults only.
- All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 19 years or older.
- Allergy Alert – We request that you inform us, at the time of registration checkout, of any dietary restrictions that may be in conflict with the menu listed in this class description. Although we make every effort to accommodate guests with allergies, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cross contamination. Please refer to our Allergy Policy for more information.
- Products shown in image may vary from actual products created in the class.
Chef Jason Maw was born and raised in the suburbs of Toronto. While he may have been born here, his parents were from South Africa, with ancestry originating from Canton province in China. With that background, even at a young age, Chef Jason was no stranger to multiculturalism. Growing up, dinners weren’t typical Chinese cuisine but a mixture and representation of the city that is his home. Food was always a big part of his life even at a young age as he helped his parents in the kitchen from time to time and eventually almost out of instinct started to cook for friends. Chef Jason had the good fortune of beating out a few hundred other students to enroll at Humber College’s chef training program. After completing the one year program, he jumped right into the industry working at Fusion Bar and Grill. He then left Fusion and found himself at Bistro 990 in 2000. There he progressed from apprentice to JR Sous Chef in a few years. Staying on till 2006, when a change was needed. Since then he has worked at some of the cities most reputable establishments such as Boba, Lakes and Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. He has spent his career trying to hone his craft taking in various styles and techniques. Learning French bistro cuisine from Bistro 990, incorporating international flavours from Boba, molecular gastronomy from Match Events and Catering and utilizing local and fresh seafood from Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. Chef Jason has most recently taken the position to represent Pier 87 in dynamic culinary events such as this.