One of the classic comfort foods of all time earns a place of honour on July 14. It is National Mac and Cheese Day! #NationalMacAndCheeseDay
Families are invited to cook in the kitchen together by making their own customized Mac & Cheese. Chef Jason Maw of Pier 87 will guide you as he demonstrates a traditional Mac and Cheese recipe using butter, flour and milk. Now it’s time to tie on an apron and get busy as you start with the classic base and mix the sauce from scratch and grate a variety of cheese. Take your macaroni to the next level by mixing in ingredients such as Shrimp, Bacon, Caramelized Onions or Green Onions. And finally, finish off your creative Mac & Cheese with Gold Fish Crackers, Bread Crumbs or Potato Chips. And even Ketchup too! Kids will love this hands-on class making their favourite dish.
- Lesson & instructions by a professional chef;
- All supplies and ingredients;
- Hands-on family fun;
- Enjoy Mac & Cheese made by you (approx 10 oz for adults & 5 oz for kids);
- Suitable for families with kids ages 4+. Kids under the age of 12 must remain accompanied by an adult.
- Allergy Alert – We request that you inform us, at the time of registration checkout, of any dietary restrictions that may be in conflict with the menu listed in this class description. Although we make every effort to accommodate guests with allergies, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cross contamination. Please refer to our Allergy Policy for more information.
- Products shown in image may vary from actual products created in the class.
Chef Jason Maw was born and raised in the suburbs of Toronto. While he may have been born here, his parents were from South Africa, with ancestry originating from Canton province in China. With that background, even at a young age, Chef Jason was no stranger to multiculturalism. Growing up, dinners weren’t typical Chinese cuisine but a mixture and representation of the city that is his home. Food was always a big part of his life even at a young age as he helped his parents in the kitchen from time to time and eventually almost out of instinct started to cook for friends. Chef Jason had the good fortune of beating out a few hundred other students to enroll at Humber College’s chef training program. After completing the one year program, he jumped right into the industry working at Fusion Bar and Grill. He then left Fusion and found himself at Bistro 990 in 2000. There he progressed from apprentice to JR Sous Chef in a few years. Staying on till 2006, when a change was needed. Since then he has worked at some of the cities most reputable establishments such as Boba, Lakes and Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. He has spent his career trying to hone his craft taking in various styles and techniques. Learning French bistro cuisine from Bistro 990, incorporating international flavours from Boba, molecular gastronomy from Match Events and Catering and utilizing local and fresh seafood from Starfish Oysterbed and Grill. Chef Jason has most recently taken the position to represent Pier 87 in dynamic culinary events such as this.